"Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break." ~William Shakespeare

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Independence Day

My family use to spend July 4th with my grandparents at the fireworks festival in New Castle, PA. Zambezi's would put on a huge fireworks display every year; it was amazing. We would gather a few hours before the show was to start and spread a blanket on the grass and spend time together as a family. The DJ would be there playing all sorts of different songs. Two that he would always play were "The YMCA" and "The Chicken Dance." My father would always jump up when those songs started and dance with my sisters and brother and me. He never cared if he looked silly or who was looking. He was only concerned with having fun with his kids. We would laugh and dance like nobody was looking. He loved to have fun with us. Then we would lay on our backs side by side and watch the show.

Last night, I was sitting on the tailgate of Sarah's father's truck watching fireworks with them, and I was thinking about my Dad. I was remembering doing the YMCA and the Chicken dance with my dad. I could see us laying in the grass watching the fireworks exploding over the trees. I could see the smile and the content look on his face as he spent time and had fun with his family.

He was such a fantastic father. I miss him so much everyday. I love you Daddy.

1 comment:

  1. I remember lots of things, and miss him all over again.

    ReplyDelete